Vieques Puerto Rico is one of the newer undiscovered top travel destinations in the Caribbean. Home to the brightest bioluminescent bay (chemical reactions in the water cause the water to appear lit from underneath) in the world, it makes perfect sense that such amazing surroundings would render Vieques the perfect destination for a one of a kind wedding, or a honeymoon that you will never forget. Located ten miles east of Puerto Rico in the Caribbean Sea, Vieques is perfect for exotic vacation travel as well. Recently a new reality television show has chosen Vieques as the perfect location to call home. “Wedding Island” is expected to bring a great deal of attention to the area and again highlights the location’s suitability for a wedding.
To get to Vieques, it is best to fly into San Juan’s Luis Munoz Marin International Airport, Isla Grande Airport or Ceiba Airport. There you can hop onto a small, propeller driven plane and arrive at Antonio Rivera Rodriguez Airport in Vieques, or, if you prefer, you can catch one of the ferries from Fajardo.
Along with the various festivals that take place during different times of the year, some of the most popular activities on the island include:
- Visiting the brightest bioluminescent bay in the world.
- Snorkeling the areas around the island is great with coral reefs and crystal clear waters teeming with marine life.
- Explore the island – bicycling, horseback riding, hiking, kayaking, paddle boarding, fishing, sailing, and jet skiing should keep you busy with outdoor activities.
- Visiting, Fortín Conde de Mirasol, the museum was once a fort built in the mid-19th century by the Spanish and the tomb of Le Guillou, the town founder.
- Taking photos at the 300-year-old ceiba tree
- Taking a tour of the Old Sugarcane Plantation building, Hacienda Playa Grande
- Visiting the wreckage of World War II Navy Destroyer USS Killen
There is a bed to fit any budget in Vieques. Some of the best places to rest your head include:
- Tropical Guesthouse in Mambiche – from $75 per night
- Casa de Tortuga in Esperanza – from $80 per night
- Ababor Suites at Bastimento Beach – from $150 per night
- Inn on the Blue Horizon – only 10 rooms, great beach front location – from $162 per night
- W Retreat & Spa – up to $1,150 a night
While the average daily temperature is 82°, June through November hold the threat of hurricanes and tropical storms, so the best time to visit Vieques is December through May.
Vieques is perfect for those who want the feel of an exotic vacation or wedding with the conveniences of home. While most residents speak Spanish, most know English rather well. The national currency is the U. S. Dollar, and the most common religions found on the island are Roman Catholic and Protestant, so finding the perfect officiant, ordering food and paying for it all should not be a difficult experience.
While Puerto Rico is not an American Island, it is an American territory and as such, the only documentation you will need to travel there is the same as you would need to enter the United States. If you are an American, take a valid photo ID and you will be fine, if you need a passport to travel to America, you will need one to get into Vieques as well.
If you want to get married while traveling to Vieques, you will need to plan ahead. You will need blood tests from a certified lab, and a doctor must sign and certify the marriage certificate within ten days of the wedding date, which is timely in that you will also need to go to the Demographic Registry and purchase the two needed license stamps. You will receive the certificate, which must be signed by the doctor as explained above, approximately ten days before the ceremony. In order to obtain a marriage license you will need a valid photo i.d., or passport and proof of divorce or a death certificate if it applies to your situation. All in all, not much more than is required to get married in the United States itself.
Vieques, Puerto Rico is most certainly a perfect place for vacation travel, or the perfect backdrop for the wedding of your dreams. Routinely making top travel destination lists, Vieques is a jewel for those who love natural beauty!
Copyright 2013 KicknTravel.com All Rights Reserved